Please visit the Registrar Website for a draft of the full Guideline!
The University recognizes that many members of its community use names other than their legal or official names first provided to the University (official/legal name) to identify themselves. For some students and employees, a chosen or preferred name may be an important component of their identity. Therefore, the University has established guidelines that allow students and employees to indicate their chosen or preferred first names to the University community even if they have not changed their official/legal names.
Preferred Name Guidelines
University of Arizona students and employees may choose to identify themselves within the University community using a preferred first name that differs from their official/legal name. A student or employee’s preferred name will appear instead of the person’s official/legal name in select University-related systems and documents, provided that the preferred first name is not being used for the purpose of misrepresentation. The official/legal name will continue to be used in all University-related systems and documents that require a verified legal name.
Preferred names will be used in the following systems and records:
- CatCard (optional)
- Online Phonebook Directory*
- Official Student Email Display Name
- Official Employee Email Display Name
- UAccess Class and Grade Rosters (for students and employees taking courses)
- Most UAccess Student Center Navigation Panes
- Most UAccess Employee Self-Service Navigation Panes
Official/Legal names will continue to be used for official University records, including but not limited to the following:
- Legal Documents and Reports Produced by the University
- Student Account Statement (Bills)
- Financial Aid and Scholarship Documents
- Enrollment Verifications
- Student Employment Documents
- Employment Verifications
- Employment Documents
- Paychecks, W2s, and other Payroll documents
- Benefits Enrollment
Students may choose to restrict the listing of their (official or preferred) names in the online directory by changing their privacy settings in UAccess Student Center. Employees may also choose to restrict the listing of their (official or preferred) names in the online directory by contacting the Division of Human Resources at (520) 621-1684.